Reconditioning of battery systems
We make the most of your circumstances
So that a train or a locomotive can operate reliably again, a completely new battery is not always required. On behalf of customers our highly-qualified team at GW Batterien checks and maintains used batteries or reconditions them in accordance with technical standards. This means you have fully-functioning batteries again with certified quality in no time at all and with little additional expense.
Partial reconditioning or full reconditioning is carried out depending on the age and state of the battery which has been in operational use.
Partial reconditioning of battery systems
In addition to basic cleaning, the partial reconditioning of a battery system also involves the replacement of defective components. Firstly, the actual state of the battery must be identified by means of a capacity test (electrical test). The required residual capacity must be ≥ 85% of the nominal capacity for lead batteries and ≥ 75% for NiCd batteries.
There are two options for the subsequent stages of partial reconditioning:
a) The quality parameters are fulfilled; the partial reconditioning can be carried out in accordance with the production instructions:
- Targeted battery charging and/or cyclisation depending on the intended use and type of the battery
- Reuse of approximately 20 to 30% of batteries in operational use
b) The quality parameters cannot be fulfilled because of the age and the physical wear of the battery as a result of its utilisation. The battery is reclassified as requiring full reconditioning.
Our procedure when fully reconditioning battery systems:
- The quality parameters of the partial reconditioning could not be fulfilled; the battery is reclassified as requiring full reconditioning.
- Worn out cells replaced by new cells
- Reuse of components such as battery compartments, terminals and cable connectors. All design parameters of the battery remain unchanged, for example, the original fire protection rating.
- Checking and cleaning of all reusable components
How you benefit with fully-reconditioned battery systems:
- Capacities in accordance with the requirements of EN 60254 and 43 539-1
- Completely consistent with new batteries in terms of their function and their electrical properties